Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Selfless

For 5 years, I worked as a Speech Pathologist in an elementary school. I KNOW and have seen firsthand how kids bicker, fuss and fight over place in line, who will carry the teacher's lunchbox, who gets to the class first...the list goes on and on. Nowadays, I have found myself teaching first grade choir at my church on Wednesday nights. I love staying at home, but I enjoy teaching it because it places me back with that sweet age that I love so much. After choir, I always line up the girls and take them to their GA (Girls in Action-for those who aren't Baptist) class where they learn about missions and evangelism. I have one little girl in my class who is very needy and was just adopted a few months ago, yes at age SIX. Let's call her Lucy. I have found myself drawn to her. To help her, comfort her.

As we lined up tonight to depart to GA's, Lucy kept saying "Can I please be line leader?, Can I please be line leader?" By this time there was already a line of at least 5 girls and I didn't think it was fair to allow her first place after all the others had been waiting patiently to leave. So I said, frustrated with the situation, "just stand here, we're all going to the same place. It doesn't matter where you are in line." Of course, Lucy's tears break loose. Halfway there, I gathered myself and explained to her that we really were all going to the same place and that we'd all get there at the same time, and that if she reminded me, she could be line leader next week. Still tears.

And right then, out of the mouth of the sweet girl in front of her "you can get in front of me". SELFLESSNESS. Even a six year old child comprehends this. I struggle with it. I bet most of us do. We are born loving ourselves. Its innate in us from the beginning of our existence. Its NOT about us people. Our soul existence is to glorify our Lord Jesus. That's why we're here, and I am so comforted by that. This whole experience tonight reminded me of a song we used to sing a lot at our old church in TX..

Its all about you, Jesus
And all this is for You,
For your glory and your fame,
Its not about me,
As if you should do things my way,
You alone are God and I surrender to your way.

Suze Orman (financial guru) always says.."People first, then money, then things".
I like to think of it as "Jesus first, then people, then things..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...Can I use this in a talk for the youth sometime? Man, Baby, you nailed it...it is all about HIM!! My first thought when reading this was "who are that sweet little girl's parents" because they are obviously teaching her about Christ & Selflessness. Keep doing what you are doing...I am so proud to be your husband! Proverbs 31:30

The Chavis Family said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. I'm glad I found yours too. Thanks for the reminder about selflessness. :) ~Kim